$thispagedesc ='Get Your Own Domain ';
include 'includes/header.mike'; ?>
Get Your Own Internet Domain
This class is currently not scheduled.|
$whiteleft = "Created: December 22, 2005";
$whitecenter = " ";
$whiteright = "Last Updated: September 3, 2007";
$bottomleft = "www.michaelhorowitz.com/domainclass.html";
$bottomright = "michael at michaelhorowitz.com";
include 'pagecounters/mhcounter.php'; ?>
This web site is www.michaelhorowitz.com.
The name "michaelhorowitz.com" is referred to, on the Internet, as a
domain. Other domains are nypc.org, yahoo.com and google.com. The domain does
not include the "www".
Yahoo and Google are companies. NYPC is a large group. I'm a computer nerd. If you are
none of these things, why
do you need your own domain? Is it just the Internet equivalent of a vanity
Having you own domain can be very useful:
- By owning it, you are at the least, reserving it, so that no one else can
use it. There are a lot of Michael Horowitz's.
- You can, optionally, get email with it. For example,
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. For a business, email at
your own domain looks much more professional than an AOL email
- Needless to say, you can also get a web site with it. This too, is
- Your email address is insulated from ISP changes. Many many people still
pay America Online $24 a month simply because they don't want to lose their
AOL email address which everyone knows. Changing email addresses is a pain.
However, once you have your own domain, you will never need to change your
email address again. I can be reached with firstname.lastname@example.org,
regardless of the company I work for or the Internet Service Provider I
And it can cost under $10 a year!
Come to the class to learn all about registering your own domain.
- How can you tell if a domain is already taken?
- What information is publicly available about a domain?
- The rules for domain names. This is mostly important when determining if a
domain is really from the company it seems to be.
- Email options and features. That is, all about email from the other
(server) side of the fence.
- Web site options and features including a very easy way to use web site
storage space for file backups even if you don't have a web site.
- My experiences using a number of companies to register domains. The good
ones and the bad ones.
- My experiences using a number of companies to host web sites - again the
good and the bad
- What's all this cost?
If any students want to, I will walk them through the process of signing up
for their own domain after class. All that's needed is a credit card.
The class is two hours.
Never trust a computer nerd who doesn't have their own domain. :-)
Mastering your own domain by Ed Bott March 8, 2006